Monday, August 31, 2026

September Fitness Challenge

50 miles during August!!! * 


When my Facebook Memories remind me that I used to walk 3 miles a day I can be tempted to feel badly that I do only one mile/day lately.  


On the other hand I can choose to celebrate the fact that I AM walking at least a mile most days. 


I mostly choose to celebrate.




Recently I saw Leo Babauta of Zen Habits recommending a month-long fitness challenge.  He says such a challenge can be helpful for a couple reasons:

  1. Because I am committed to something.  (Now there’s a novel idea.)
  2. Because it is for a short time.   (A short time sounds good. Am I right?)


That’s when I went to my calendar to see how many miles I had done so far this month.

That’s also when I realized that I could maybe make it to 50 miles yet in August.

Because I had already been pushing a bit more than usual…

So I decided to start there - and I made it!

Yay!





So, yes, I will do a fitness challenge for September but I’m still deciding about my target numbers.  I know they must be doable - so I think I’ll start with 30 miles as my minimum commitment and then 40 or more will be bonus.  




* Disclaimer:


This is where I pause to clarify that not all of those 50 August miles were walking, but about a dozen of them were biking.


For September I think I will start by using only walking miles and keep the biking separate…

Keep it simple; right?




No comments:

Post a Comment