Friday, March 30, 2012

Gift

Five-minute Friday The word is gift. The rules are simple. Write for 5 minutes. No editing, no over-thinking, no back tracking... just write. Go. ... Gift I have received lots of gifts. I have taken good care of them, have been a good steward of most of them. I have enjoyed them & celebrated them. But sometimes the time comes to let go of a gift. I don’t do that so well. It feels wrong, feels like I’m no longer a good steward, no longer grateful. It’s hard to mourn the death of a gift, to accept that the expiration time approaches. I realize that I can’t receive more good gifts when my hands are so full of the previous ones, but it’s so hard to let go. There are tears, tantrums even, triggers for grief that catch me off-guard. As I admit that I must let go of the old gift to make room for the new, I still want some control. I want to let go of that old cherished thing on my terms – one piece at a time or in the way that I want to do it. I say that I want to be rid of the old, but I don’t want to let go of the control over it. It’s so hard. It hurts so bad. Time’s up. Ouch.

2 comments:

  1. Refreshing, white-knuckled honesty here. Love the post, though don't love the feelings that I can recognize. BTW, I've commented several times, but not sure if you see them?? Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mandy. I'm having a bit of trouble with glitches on the comments, but yes I see this one & one from last week & some previously.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete