I bought new stuff today!
New writing tablets and notebooks!
The kind that you write in the old-fashioned way with a pen or a pencil...
Several shapes and sizes, some thin, some fat, but all with fresh clean pages just waiting for me to spend time with them. It has been awhile since I have been so excited to have a new writing notebook.
...
Once upon a time, in the olden days, I did all my writing with a pen - or most of it with a pen and rarely with a pencil. The rough drafts were pretty much always done with pen and paper. Then came word processors that let me edit what I had typed. What a cool thing - so much more modern than the old typewriter where we had to fix mistakes with correction tape or messy liquid gunk. And then the personal computer. Ah, yes, the digital age.
Somewhere back there in that process - which now feels like ancient history - I remember wondering if I would ever get to the place where I would be able to compose on a keyboard. For a few years, I tried both - sometimes composing on paper and then typing a second draft and other times I would just start out doing the first draft on the keys. Eventually I came to the point where most of my writing is on the keys - although I do still maintain some journal pages on paper.
However, this week we are leaving the country to spend the winter in a remote place where electronic technology is less than dependable - so I am gearing up do at least a significant portion of my writing on paper. And I have been caught a bit off-guard by my excitement about this shift. Somehow it feels rather writer-ly and exotic.
...
So today I bask in the excitement of new writing tablets and notebooks. Ah, the joy of simple pleasures!
Do you have something simple to get excited about this week?
No comments:
Post a Comment