Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Real life, every-day life...

This place is beautiful. The view from our front yard is idyllic. There is an exotic feel about the whole experience - what with the tropical weather and the cultural flavor in the air. However, it is possible to give the impression that everything about life here is idyllic, which might not be completely accurate. Every-day life has stressors - whether in Michigan or in the tropics. While we need not worry about frozen pipes here, there are other plumbing issues to deal with. We might not have to decide which brand of shampoo to buy, but we do have to figure out where we will get the food for our next few meals. Will we walk to the colmado down the road or will we catch a gua-gua into town? Do we need to get to the bank today? Will my sandals hold together? How many more miles can they take in these rugged conditions?

Did I misunderstand what that person was saying and look foolish - or worse yet, did I say the wrong thing and offend her? Tourists can be condescending to the locals; I want to be kind and compassionate and respectful to them - and that can be hard work when operating in another language. Did I unintentionally imply some kind of promise or give false hope or agree to a deal I can't keep? Will I ever be able to calculate the exchange rate in my head? Will I ever keep the words for "twenty" and "fifty" straight? Will I ever get to the point again where I can hear and respond in Spanish without translating everything back and forth in my head?

There are lots of things that cause stress - or at least keep us on our toes. Currency exchange rates, cultural issues, language bloopers, and availability of safe food are at the top of my list today. But those things are also the stuff of adventure.

So while these are not stress-free days, they are good days. Days that stretch us and make us better.


No comments:

Post a Comment