Friday, April 12, 2013

Five-minute Friday: HERE

Five-minute Friday - when we set the timer & write for five minutes - with no editing
Today's word: HERE

...

I am here - stuck in the middle.
On Facebook.
In social settings.
In life.

I have lots of right-wing conservative friends and I also have a bunch of flaming liberal friends - well, and pretty much everything in between. And I like that. Sometimes. But sometimes not so much. Some days Facebook is not a comfortable place to be - what with all of the colorful posters and two-word slogans screaming from my news feed. Then there are the days when I might want to post something heartfelt - like "I really like Michele Obama" - or some other potentially controversial status. But I think twice - or thrice or more times - because I'm pretty sure SOMEBODY will yell at me. Well, maybe not yell, but scold me or condemn me or jump down my throat or something. Or lecture me. Or label me.

Sometimes I'm tempted to de-friend everybody who disagrees with me - but then I wouldn't have any friends. Besides these are my friends. I like them. AND I can learn from my friends on both sides.

Besides most of the time I kinda' like being HERE - stuck in the middle - even though it feels like I don't belong anywhere. Here is where I am. Here can be a pretty good place.

...

I have both conservative and liberal parts within me and I think I can understand both viewpoints. I hope that I am conservative in the best sense of the word - as in conserving resources, taking good care of people and things and responsibilities. I admit that I am naturally conservative when it comes to being cautious or wanting to do the right thing. On the other hand, I also hope that I am liberal in the best meanings of that term - that I am generous and lavish - extravagant even - with my love and compassion, with my respect and loyalty, with service and helpfulness, and most of all with grace.

Yep, I am HERE - stuck in the middle. And that's okay.

1 comment:

  1. I share that middle ground, too, Kaye. I'm a pastor, and have a tendency to be a people-pleaser. It's very uncomfortable here.

    ReplyDelete