I am a list maker. I WISH I were also a list finisher. I might get the prize for leaving the most lists unfinished in the world. But still I use them. I guess I keep thinking that my to-do list will motivate me or at least keep me from forgetting something important - but they seem to fail on both counts. In fact, a to-do list often discourages me when I see how long it is and how slowly I am progressing.
However, I happened upon another idea - a great idea that I use once in awhile. Instead of making a to-do list, sometimes I make a ta-da list! With this list, I write down the things that I DID rather than what I must do. Then I can say "Ta-Da!!! Look at what I did!!!" The psychology works in a positive way. With this list, I WANT to see it grow - so I try to think of even little things that might take just a few minutes, but they count. Instead of rationalizing and whining, instead I feel excited about finding one more thing to do so I can write it on the list.
I had a flexible schedule today so I decided to do a ta-da list and it has worked wonderfully! It has already grown longer than I would have imagined. I did some piddling things that have been awaiting my attention - loose-ends, you know - like filling the soap dispensers and putting new pages in my planner notebook. Ooh, and I took a few minutes to unsubscribe to a whole bunch of e-mail newsletters that I no longer need. Ta-da!
I threw in a couple medium-sized projects. For example I've been wanting a bookshelf in the great room - so today I set out to search for it in storage. I found it and polished it and got it in place. I even arranged the books on it! Ta-Da! Perfect!
I also tackled something that has been hanging over my head - a major glitch in the checkbook. I found it, fixed it and finished it! Ta-da! I'm having so much fun that I might even take on the business account as well.
Another biggie was that I've been wanting to set up my big computer - because there are a couple projects that need to be addressed there. So once the momentum of my ta-da list began building, I decided to give it a shot - and at least get started. I cleaned off the desk I wanted to use, set up the computer and ta-da! I'm in business. One project is done and the other is in process. I didn't know if I could get my equipment to do what I needed, but I experimented and discovered how to do it. The files are transferring even as we speak. I mean, even as I type - on a different computer. Wahoo!!! That project had been stressing me for months because it was so daunting - and now it's done! Ta-Da!!!
My list is pretty impressive. I almost can't believe that I could have done so much in one day. It's like I'm a different person, no longer the plodder, but actually a finisher. This has done wonders for my confidence and sense of accomplishment - not to mention encouragement for the rest of the week.
...
P.S.
Sometimes I think of something that I've always wanted to do but never seem to get it done.
Sometimes I struggle to figure out how to do it.
Sometimes it gets messy - like my first attempt to grill a PB&J...
Sometimes it doesn't turn out great.
But sometimes it does.
Sometimes it is worth the effort.
Ta-Da!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment