Thursday, May 30, 2013

Brennan Manning and me: Ragamuffins R Us

Last month as I joined others in grieving the loss of Brennan Manning's presence on this planet, I realized that he was maybe the first person to open my eyes to grace - to my need of it. Yah, I know that sounds more than a little hoity-hoity, but I’m serious. Up until then I thought it was all about being good - behaving properly, following the rules, being careful not to displease God.  Performing. Living victoriously. In my head I knew about grace, but my heart couldn’t seem to grasp it.

And then my first-born came home from college with a book for me - after Manning had been there to speak at chapel - introducing me to an amazing man and a whole new realm of thought to process which of course was not new at all.  

The more I think about him and his influence on my life, the heavier the weight of gratitude that began to settle in on my heart. I can’t help but wonder where I would be if not for Brennan Manning and The Ragamuffin Gospel. There’s a really good chance that I would still be living in bondage to religious rules - still a Pharisee. Oh, how I rejoice in being free. I can’t begin to describe how wonderful it is. I really am all choked up as I type. Grace. What an amazing thing! 

Just the week before he died,I had gone to the storage shed to search for my copy of ragamuffin gospel because I wanted to take another look at it.  I can always use another dose of grace.  I am again making my way through the book - slowly - because I keep re-reading some pages over and over - and that's okay.  I am thankful that there is such good news for us ragamuffins.

Yep, it is Thankful Thursday - and I am.

...

But then, as I bask in the relief and the freedom, I must also ask myself:  Do I extend grace to others?  Or do I expect them to perform, to behave properly?  Do I demand that they "follow the rules" - my rules even?   Do I choose to love them just the way they are - as fellow ragamuffins, the way I would hope to be loved? 


No comments:

Post a Comment