Friday, May 10, 2013

Comfort

Five-minute Friday - when we set the timer & write for five minutes
Today's word: Comfort
Ready?
Begin!

...

I like comfort. I really do. I like to be comfortable. I enjoy things that sooth my spirit or my skin or my tired achy muscles. I prefer situations of ease rather than distress. I choose to be around people who make me feel good. I protect my comfort zone fairly diligently.

Conversely I don’t like to be uncomfortable. I get grouchy or whiny when I’m uncomfortable.

Certainly it is normal to like comfort. A HUGE percentage of retail business is done because people like comfort. We buy satin sheets or thick thirsty towels – for one primary reason: comfort. We invest in good warm boots so our feet will be comfortable. Mattresses come with weird number systems to insure our comfort. We buy bigger houses and nicer cars and fancy La-Z-boy recliners and we turn up the heat or crank the AC to be more comfortable.

Is it a bad thing to value comfort? I don’t think so. Comfort can contribute to our health and well-being. If I cannot get comfortable in my bed, I don’t sleep well – thus affecting my physical and mental health. Being uncomfortable with a toothache or a headache can be a clue to seek medical attention.

But seeking comfort can become negative and selfish and self-serving. Certainly it is often tempting to put my comfort ahead of doing the right thing. Perhaps it is a matter of obedience or of priorities. Maybe it’s okay to seek comfort and to enjoy it – as long as I am not putting it ahead of loving the people in my life or doing the right thing – and as long as I am willing to set it aside when it becomes necessary or wise.



What speaks comfort to you?
What price would you pay for comfort?
How much comfort are you willing to give up for a good cause?


2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. Unfortunately some put comfort so high on their lists that people slip down. Setting aside comfort to do uncomfortable things. Jesus did this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anne. I didn't have much direction when I started writing this and kinda' processed the idea as I was typing. But yah, I think I happened upon a worthwhile conclusion.

    Gotta' love Five-Minute Fridays. You just never know what you'll end up with.

    ReplyDelete