...
Once in awhile I miss the old days. But not really...
...
I don't know that I have ever watched "Dancing with the Stars" and I don't know that I ever will. I have however seen a few episodes of other performance shows as well as the Olympics from time to time - enough to know there are two distinct sides to this brand of entertainment. There is the amazing talent, the emotion of the music, the personality of the performer, the beauty of the dance and the grace of the skaters - those are the wonders to behold and to celebrate.
Then there is the judging. Oh, my, the judging - whether by the judges or the voting public. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. But also the harshness, the picky critiques, the heart-breaking put-downs. I suppose there is a place for performance judging in our world, but some of our worlds contain far too much judgment and pettiness and far too little celebration and grace.
...
Some of the oft-repeated rules in my old world were demanding and difficult.
- If you are sick, you must not have enough faith. Maybe you're not praying enough. Maybe you should throw away your pills.
- You have to submit and be more surrendered.
- Try harder and believe more strongly.
- You must be willing to pay the price.
- We must live in victory - all the time.
- Perhaps you are being punished for not having consistent daily devotions.
- When God says "Jump" it is not your place to argue or to wonder why. It is simply yours to ask "How high?" (Yes, yes, that one was probably for my protection more than about my performance, but it didn't always sound that way.)
But in my new world, rather than a harsh raspy-voiced coach bellowing out orders to try harder, to jump higher, to throw farther, now I discover a loving father and I hear the new rules from his gentle voice.
- Dance with me. Don't worry about stepping on my feet. In fact, some of the time, you can just stand on them and let me do the work - just like when you were little...
- It's not like DWTS. You will not be critiqued by judges. America will not vote on your performance.
- In fact, don't even think about an audience - because they don't matter. That's right; dance like no one is watching.
- Don't fret about how to keep the steps in order. Just relax and follow my lead. Lean in and feel the graceful rhythm.
- Let the music sink into your spirit and feel the breeze on your face.
- Enjoy the dance.
- Celebrate.
I miss the old days like I miss having two left feet! Being klutzy is no fun. Neither is always missing the mark. Feeling like a failure gets really old.
Good-bye, Judgment. Hello, Grace!
Reminds me of one my favorite songs ... Dancing with My Father :) Thank you Kaye, and Big Daddy Weave for the encouragement to let go of all that would bind us, in exchange for freedom and joy.
ReplyDeleteYES!!! Dancing with my Father God in fields of grace!!! I keep thinking of that, too.
Delete