Friday, October 4, 2013

Five-Minute Friday: Write

Five-Minute Friday
It is Friday.  I haven't done FMF for a really long time.
Thinking about doing it again.
Write for five minutes with no editing.

Finding a timer
Setting it for five minutes
The prompt is: WRITE
Ready... Go!

...

Write

I want to write. At least I say that I want to write, but then I question myself so often. I ask if I really do want to write - or do I just want to have written. Yes, I've written about writing - about the process of writing, about all this - numerous times.

When I write profusely, I feel good about it. When people like what I've written, I feel even better. When I don't write much, I feel sad - or guilty or defeated or something. I ask myself why I don't write when I say that I want to.

Writing coaches say to ask yourself why you want to write. Why really? I might go there here. On the other hand, I also wonder why I don't write.

I don't write because I get distracted. I may think of something that I really want to write about, but then something else comes along to grab my attention.

I don't write because it is hard work. An idea comes together and I may speak it and it keeps growing and I say I need to get this down. But then I try and it doesn't come together the same way again. At least not easily. It feels like hard work. It is hard work.

I don't write because I keep running out of time. Like right now... Time is up.  Drats! 

But I did write.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment