Thursday, December 26, 2013

How few books can I take?

Tonight I tackled the daunting task of selecting just a few books to take with me. Over the last three years I have disposed of hundreds of books and still have hundreds more packed away in the storage sheds. In the last couple weeks of preparation for our adventure, I have been setting aside books that I might want to take. Tonight I decided to begin the final selections - hoping against hope that I might get it down to a dozen titles - altho' I couldn't imagine such a feat. I pulled the books from those two boxes I had set aside and unloaded my two small bookshelves of favorites and started the agonizing process.

I am happy to report that I just kept eliminating books from the piles until I now have two boxes full to put in storage and exactly 12 titles ready to go with me. That's right. Twelve. One dozen. For seven months. Unbelievable.

Now I must admit there is a chance that I will falter and pull a book or three back out of the boxes before they get stored away and before we hit the road, but at least for this moment I have accomplished a great and mighty task.


...

Oh, and yes, I must also point out that I'm talking about actual physical books here.  And yes, I am taking hundreds of titles on my Kindle as well.  So maybe that diminishes the nobility of my accomplishment.  Or at least it explains it.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! The nobility of your accomplishment…don’t knock it! To get it just twelve physical books is nothing short of miraculous!

    ReplyDelete