Saturday, December 14, 2013

I like myself when I write

My writing instructor, Jeff Goins, recently posted this about why he writes (to express, to understand, and to remember) and challenged me to ask why I write. 

...

I like who I am when I write. I feel better about myself when I have a good writing routine. 

I am saner when I write. If I am so happy I can't stand it, my journal is always glad to listen and rejoice with me. If I start to panic, I can often sit myself down and work through it on the page.

I have something to offer others when I write. It might be something I have already written or I may write in response to a friend's struggle.

I love the sense of accomplishment when I am consistently, intentionally cranking out words. I am not naturally a very good finisher, but when I reach a major word count goal, I can be proud of myself.

I can let go of "stuff" easier if I first capture the thoughts and feelings about that stuff by writing. It might mean cherishing good memories to revisit some day. Or it might be capturing lessons learned for future reference.

...
That's why I write.



2 comments:

  1. Good read Kaye. I am a retired pastor/programmer who likes to write now: www.johnhking.com Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John, for your kind words. I took a look at your blog, too. I can identify with the "Notebooks full of sermons and plans for discipleship, impacting our world with the Gospel..."

      Delete