Monday, March 3, 2014

What a difference a day makes

Yesterday I was marveling over the waist-high snow in my daughter's backyard and about how the deer have been bravely coming closer into farm yards desperately seeking food in the brutal winter that is Michigan.  Today I am marveling at a blue bird just outside my window. Well, not a "bluebird", but a bird that is blue - with a brown band across its back. Oh, and the geraniums are blossoming. How marvelous.

Yesterday I put on warm socks and several layers of clothes including gloves and my winter coat. Today I am wearing flip-flops and no sleeves.

Yesterday we were shivering in the cold on the jet-way as we boarded our plane in Chicago. Today I have the windows wide open to enjoy the lovely breeze and the bright sunshine and sounds of life.

Yesterday I woke up in somebody else's house and clambered in and out of somebody else's van and then walked miles in airport terminals to one airplane and then another, all the while hauling my most precious belongings around in my one overly-stuffed personal item and my one equally-stocked carry-on bag. Today (very, very early this morning) we got to pile all of our stuff into our very own truck and drive to our very own place. Today I am putting personal belongings back into the spots where they belong in my own little house on wheels.

Yesterday I was a traveler - or maybe just a transient - feeling confined and restricted on a crowded airplane not terribly unlike feeling confined and restricted behind the closed doors of a bitter Michigan winter. Today I feel at home and grateful to be able to stretch my legs and enjoy wide open spaces and breathe deeply.

Yesterday I was grateful, but also just a little stressed out about all that goes with a day of air travel.
Today I am even more grateful, but also feeling relaxed and at peace and comfortable and at ease. It feels good to be back to normal, to have things right with my world - as much as is possible. It is nice to feel at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment