...
We must be close to the land of the midnight sun - because we had very little darkness last night. It was already light at 4 a.m. and even earlier, I think. Because I didn't sleep so well I am feeling a little groggy. So rather than try to compose a lovely piece, perhaps I just post some of my ramblings.
...
Yesterday we passed the half-way point in our journey! Wahoo! Does that mean it's all down-hill from here? I think not. Besides some of the down-hills are the worst! My worst fear!
Yesterday we also arrived at Dawson Creek, British Columbia, which is the official beginning of the Alaska Highway. That's pretty significant! Last night we unhitched the rig so we could explore the town a teeny bit. We hit Boston Pizza to celebrate those two achievements, then visited Mile Zero to take the fun photos, filled the tank on the truck and bought some groceries.
...
I am always curious about life in famous towns like this - so we engaged our waitress in conversation. Dawson Creek is an oil town with lots of agriculture in the surrounding valley - besides the seasonal stream of tourists. Her bottom line: The weather sucks. Don't move here!
...
We struggle to find good internet. We knew that would be likely so we try not to give in to frustration. Grrrr... We are so spoiled.
...
Today we start the Alaska Highway. We would love to make it to Fort Nelson by tonight, but that might be a bit over-zealous.
...
And so it begins...
Or continues...
Or something.
Kaye, I'm jealous. One day we are coming back to do the Alaska Marine Highway. From Bellingham to Ditch Harbour 3500 miles, by ferry boat. I hope you are going to spent lots of time there. The whole of summer? You have Seward Highway, George Parks Highway, Glen Highway and Richardson Highway waiting to explore. You can rant too if you want. Its okay.
ReplyDeletePatricia, we have given serious thought to the idea of taking the Marine Highway for our return trip back to the lower 48. Wow; you sure know a lot about Alaska!
Delete