Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Night sounds

So this place has been okay. I was pretty iffy about it at first. That is not terribly unusual; I am often iffy about a new place. But I think I was even iffy-er than usual this time. Nothing cool about it really. But it's okay. It has become familiar.

Those strange really loud thumping and banging noises that freaked me out a little the first night have either lessened or faded into the normal. We assume they are coming from big garbage trucks at the Savannah Sanitation land fill on the other side of the highway.

And the really, really loud roaring sounds last weekend sounded like a race track. I suppose they could have been coming from the Savannah Speedway a bit east of here.

The frequent sirens now have an explanation - or really two explanations: the fire station right out front across the road and the police station next door. When I'm out walking by the fire station and a fire truck suddenly lets that siren loose, I nearly jump out of my hiking sandals!

And the planes... Oh the planes... Little planes, military planes, jet planes, helicopters... All kinds of planes rumbling or whirring or whining or whistling overhead much of the time. Well, it turns out that we are smack dab between Hunter Army Airfield and Savannah Hilton Head International Airport - just a few miles away.

Oh, and don't forget the trains. Yep, there's a railroad track over there somewhere near the Army Airfield and the Savannah Speedway.

I guess I feel more comfortable here now that I know the sources of most of these noises. I'm funny that way. Sounds can play a big part in my disorientation or in my sense of well-being.

...

And now tonight we have the windows open and I can hear all kinds of "chirping" outside - spring peepers, Bob says. So that's a familiar sound. We always loved to fall asleep to the sound of spring peepers at Hidden Hollows.

And with that, good night.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment