I could feel guilty about that, because I'm really good at feeling guilty for all kinds of things.
Then again, what good would that do?
There are other ways that I could look at this.
I've heard more than one writer talk about the fact that they sometimes get so busy trying to keep up with their writing that they don't find time to really live.
Maybe I have the opposite problem. Maybe I am so busy living life that I struggle to find time to write about it.
"In order to write about life
first you must live it."
- Ernest Hemingway
Maybe I have a really good excuse for not writing. Maybe I am living life first so that I can write about it later.
Either write something worth reading
or
do something worth writing about.
- Benjamin Franklin
Maybe I'm doing things worth writing about. Hopefully. Yep, that sounds good. Okay; yah. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
There have been times when I've chosen to think of writing as my full-time job. I enjoy those times when that can be true. When writing can be my focus. It makes me feel like a writer and that's fun. I'm grateful to have that freedom.
But this isn't one of those times. Instead this is a time when I wear other hats as well. A time when other roles and responsibilities tend to take priority and become my focus. A time when I don't get many days for writing.
And that's okay. In fact, that's more than okay. These are the times I long for when I'm far away from the kids and grandkids. These are the days when I can take care of all kinds of personal business much easier than when we are hundreds of miles away.
I will gladly enjoy both kinds of days. Both seasons. The seasons when I can write like it's my job, but also the seasons when other stuff takes up more of my time. The times when I mostly wear my writer hat but also the times when I sometimes can't remember which hat I'm wearing.
Good times.
No comments:
Post a Comment