Monday, November 16, 2015

Fridge, bed and shower: the measure of a home

Gotta’ love a fridge that has enough space to freeze ice cubes.
And is big enough to fit a pizza box!
...
Trade-offs. 
There will always be trade-offs.
...

Ever since we moved out of the big house, we’ve been dealing with trade-offs. First there was the little tiny bunkhouse where we were able to have our big fridge, but had to step outside to the camper for showers or to the Porta-John for other business. Yah, that would only work in warm weather.

Then there was the log house - with a real bathroom but a tiny shower. 

Interestingly enough, in both of those places we were able to have the luxury of a king-size bed.

Next came the RV with the inevitable cramped quarters. That bed is NOT king-sized and has barely enough room to walk around it to change the sheets. The fridge is not bad for a camper, but not big enough to fit in a pizza box. I don’t even bother trying to make ice cubes there. But the shower is good. Nice-sized and actually pretty convenient. What a blessing! In fact, I realize that all other showers may now be compared to that one.


Now for the next couple months we are in a  two-bedroom furnished apartment. That’s right; TWO bedrooms! That means that we get to host overnight guests - if they like twin beds.  


There’s enough room for Bob to have his piano set up without us tripping over it. I am so happy to be able to spread out a bit and have some space for this next phase of sorting and pitching and packing. 




Plus I get to have my own writing spot. A real desk even.

But what really amazes me is the HUGE fridge. Yes, it’s big enough for an entire pizza box - or even a couple of them.  And yes, I can make ice cubes now - FOUR trays at once. That’s fun. 

We are very thankful for this place and this time. 

...

Then again, it does have the smallest bed we've ever shared. 
And I do miss my shower…

No comments:

Post a Comment