Yesterday I visited Reading Books. Yes, that's the name of a funky little bookstore here in Rockford which resides partly in a couple railroad cars from the 1920s and partly in a little building beside the old railroad track. Rare, used and out-of-print books fill this little shop to overflowing.
…
Their promo bookmark says:
Take a ride on the READING for an express trip to anywhere!
We sell dreams, romance, confidence and peace of mind.
Ride the range, slay a dragon, bake a cake, solve a murder!
It’s all possible when you take a ride on The Reading!
…
Resident cats, Zelda and Dickens, wander through the narrow aisles between the stacks of books from one room to the next. Up a few steps into the train cars are rows and rows of fiction titles.
When I asked the owner whether she is accepting more books, she pointed out the dozens of full boxes waiting to be shelved. Oh, my; what an overwhelming task. I sort of want to get a little souvenir from here, but I have my own dozen boxes of books sitting in storage that I must get rid of. Wandering through this labyrinth, this over-abundance of printed material, triggered various thoughts and emotions within me. At first I found myself thinking that I should not be a writer. That no one should be a writer - because there are already too many books in the world. I quickly realized how silly that is. Then I found myself thinking of how difficult it is to market books in this age of so many books and so few readers. Such a glut…
I tried to picture my name on the spine of one or some of these books and it seemed like a drop in an ocean. I asked myself why I even write and whether there would ever be a need for my writings. Then I reminded myself that I write for me and for a few people. I try to write what I need to read. Maybe someday I will decide that I need to concern myself with marketing what I write, but not yet. Not today.
Today I write.
Today I live life so that I have something to write about.
No comments:
Post a Comment