My first clue was when I saw a waiter hand a key to someone…
We were having lunch at a beach bar and I noticed that people were getting a key - presumably for the restroom. Whoa.
Does this mean that there was something nice enough about this bathroom to protect? Like maybe there was actually a toilet seat. Or maybe even paper in there.
Such thoughts and wonderings were tucked away in the “interesting” file.
After lunch and before we headed back to the car, it was time to check it out - so I stepped up to the bar to request said key and headed in the direction I was pointed - "over there, behind the kitchen." Experienced traveler that I am (hah!), I did remember to take along my purse just in case I would need paper. And yes, I had earlier that morning remembered to re-stock the paper supply therein.
My curiosity grew as I came around the corner of the building which was the kitchen and found an interesting little building up on stilts - with several sturdy steps leading up to the sheet metal door that was indeed locked with a padlock.
I found myself remembering some of the bathrooms I had found at other beach restaurants.
Like the one at Playa Rincon with a huge water drum with plastic dippers floating on the surface of the water - for flushing and hand-washing - all barely visible in the near darkness inside the little shack.
Or like the one at La Playita where there was actual plumbing but it often wasn’t working. And, of course, I was remembering all of the bathrooms in this country with no toilet seats.
All of these images crowded my mind as I climbed the big metal steps and unlocked the padlock.
Imagine my shock and delight upon opening the door to find actual bathroom fixtures complete with toilet seat. Evidently so shocked that I couldn't hold the camera still!
It was like a modern restroom WITH a supply of paper. And things seemed to be fairly clean so perhaps there really was running water and things might really be working properly.
It was even bright enough in there to see these astonishing furnishings instead of peering into the semi-darkness and fearing what one might find.
Interestingly a small window on the ocean side was positioned at almost the right height so one could enjoy the view while taking care of business. Too funny.
(Not even kidding about this.)
All in all, this was a great place and the little room was downright decent so I was thankful.
I was also glad that I did think to take my purse along when visiting the little room - this time not for the paper I might need, but for the camera I never would have thought I might want!
Nice place.
I'm impressed.
No comments:
Post a Comment