Sunday, November 12, 2017

Halfway there!


I just crossed the halfway point in my NaNoWriMo* project. This is my eighth year to participate in NaNo and the writing has been flowing pretty well. I have been sticking to my word count goal of 2000 words/day in order to make it to the 50,000 word goal for the month of November.

It is always interesting to see what direction the writing will go.  
A couple times I had a pretty defined plan or outline for the writing.
Many years I have gone into the month without much direction.

This year I had a plan - or at least I thought I did.  I wrote along that plan for the first few days and then got stuck.  As I attempted to keep cranking out the words, it seemed that I had changed directions.  I have since had to admit that I might have two very different books here.  And that’s okay. I’ll just keep typing and try to label things enough that I can separate them upon completion.


The original plan was to write about my new city - to share first impressions of Flint and our first few months living here.  I’m still excited about that project and moving forward with it. Working on that theme has pushed me to do research and to keep checking out more of what is around here.  I keep reading, I keep talking to people and mostly I keep listening - all of which help me to keep learning about this fascinating city.  

For example, in just the last few weeks we have checked out Applewood and Sloan Museum and taken in the first of hopefully many concerts at Flint Institute of Music.  

Flint ArtWalk takes places on the second Friday of every month and we’ve just participated for our second time - sort of.  More about that later...

The Holiday Walk over in the College Cultural Area sounds pretty cool so we will go with our students.  

On my walk yesterday I stopped at the U of M library - which has been on my list for awhile - but I had been nudged a bit by a picture one of our students posted recently.  Sure enough I found the spot where he shot it - overlooking the river and several prominent buildings that have become important to us and our life here.

Not surprisingly the library has dozens of little reading and writing nooks.  I LOVE finding spots like that and look forward to hanging out there from time to time.  They even had a sign near the door about NaNoWriMo and I learned that the guy at the information desk is a fellow Wrimo - so that was fun.

Possibly the biggest task in learning our surroundings is the food scene.  I was told that I would always be an outsider until trying a Flint Coney dog - so I have taken steps to rectify that while checking off one more restaurant from the list of places we want to try.  That list is really long and we are not making very fast progress because once we find a place we like, we want to go back there again and again.  But we will force ourselves to keep working through that list.  What a happy chore!

The list gets rearranged from time to time - as we listen and learn.  This week, I discovered that the son of one of our new friends is a chef downtown and we’ve heard rave reviews so I guess Churchill’s has just been bumped up a little higher on the list.

In fact we decided to tackle the list today - to see what we can learn about Chinese take-out.  Success - 1.5 miles from our house!  Yay! Sure enough, it’s a tough task.


Meanwhile National Novel Writers Month continues and I keep typing toward the goal of 50,000 words during the month of November.
I’m feeling good about being halfway there with a few days to spare.
And I’m enjoying the process - of writing AND of getting to know my city better.

...

*NaNoWriMo = National Novel Writing Month
Thousands of participants around the world commit to write at least 50,000 words during the month of November.  And then the editing process begins in December and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment