Tuesday, December 17, 2019

The gift of un-busy


"Slow down.
Clear your calendar.
Take time to breathe deeply
and enjoy the season."
A few years ago I worked hard to get to a place of un-busy.  Sure enough, I very much enjoyed the feeling of simplicity.  I asked myself about that the other day - how I did it and why I let it slip away.

Oh, yah, it was because we were out there living on the road…
  • Away from our world and our peeps
  • Away from our roots.
  • Away from friends and family
  • Away from any kind of social life
  • Away from time commitments

It was nice to not be so busy.  
To not always be scurrying or feeling behind
But it wasn’t perfect.
I missed my peeps, those little grands, our kids, and dear friends.
I missed having at least a bit of a social life.

So here we are a couple years later and we’ve again put down roots. Even though we knew hardly anyone when we moved here, we found ourselves surrounded by wonderful people who soon became friends.  Options and opportunities abound in this place so I just had to try everything.  

Until I couldn’t.
Until I remembered that I can’t do it all.
That I might have to re-teach myself how to pick and choose only the best.  I had to admit that my old tendency to over-commit had returned with a vengeance.  I needed to step back and make some changes.

For three months now I have been intentionally finding my way back toward un-busy.  Not there yet, but I am beginning to breathe easier.

This would be the perfect spot for my magical list of three easy steps to find un-busy.  Sorry; I haven’t found time to come up with a neat list all tied up with a bow.  I’m still in the trenches on this - reminding myself to notice how I’m doing and to ask the hard questions about my choices.  I’m still finding my way back to sanity.  I choose to give myself the gift of un-busy again.  To live at a healthy pace.

Maybe next month I can come up with a handy-dandy list.  
Or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment