Monday, January 31, 2022

Missing you, Ron...

Six months ago today… you were gone… and Carriage Town will never be the same.

...

One year ago today you were sending me an old song every day - as part of my cultural education.  We had talked, you and I, about my cultural deprivation growing up in a conservative bubble with no access to popular music.  You began teaching me soon after we moved here almost five years ago.  And not just about music.  


You also taught me so many things about Carriage Town and Flint.  You were one of the first people to welcome us here.  I don’t think I’ll ever forget that day.  It was the monthly meeting of the University Avenue Corridor Coalition just across the street at Factory Two.  We sat with Jon and Kassy Mason, the only people in the room that we knew yet.  During the meeting we were “introduced” as first-timer attenders.  Afterward you and Jon Wood and a few others lined up at our table to welcome us and get acquainted.  What a warm and wonderful feeling of connection!


From that day forward, you were our friend.  You found many ways to welcome and befriend and help us.  You filled us in on so many things that helped bring us up to speed on life here.  You gave us information about upcoming opportunities and historical happenings.  You introduced us to people from your incredible network - friends in high places and important influencers. 


You were a good neighbor in so many ways - to us and to others.  You cared deeply about Carriage Town and worked hard to make it better around here.  You helped us do the same.  You showed up at Good Beans most days and I often timed my visits there to coincide with yours.


After the pandemic hit, you dropped off boxes of food for us now and then.  You would go to the food giveaways and get the allotted four boxes of food and then distribute them to neighbors who were isolating and not going out to stores.  


I felt a little badly at first.  I mean, we want to be the ones donating food, not receiving donations.  But we appreciated it. And we passed along any items that we couldn’t use to other neighbors.


Your house was amazing, partially restored, then partially destroyed by fire, and then rescued again from the damage.  Beautiful and wonderful… and so sad that you had to start over. Such an overwhelming task. I keep wondering what will happen to her… that lovely stately old beauty.


But wait; I was talking about one year ago when you were sending us a song every day.  Every stinkin’ day!  For weeks and months!  That was one of my favorite things you did for us.  Such fun.  Such a treat in the midst of quarantine and isolation. We both tried to express to you how much it meant to us… and you admitted that you were having fun with it, too.  And the gift goes on even now because Bob made playlists from the songs you sent us.  We love to play them and think of you.


You were a helper and a good friend, and I celebrate the memories of those special ways you found to help us in the midst of a pandemic - even though you were not feeling so great yourself.  Genuinely amazing.


Dang it; I miss you, Ron!   

4 comments:

  1. Forever missed, a beautiful tribute, thank you Kaye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Kaye. It gave me a chance to pause and remember Ron, how much he meant and added to our lives and how missing him I feel. What a guy he was! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pausing and remembering is good. I'm trying to do more of that - pausing to cherish memories and even to embrace the sadness of the loss.

      Delete