I think I am a compassionate person - or at least I try to be. I think I have mostly goodwill in my heart toward people who are different than me. But I realize that I'm kinda' clueless about what life is really like for them. I have never walked in their shoes but I have made feeble attempts to learn more about such things. It is easy to see that in many cases, black lives do not matter and that is not okay with me.
A couple years ago I was challenged to read Black authors so I made a commitment to read and listen and learn. I am finding so many writers from whom I can learn more about their reality.
Jacalyn Wetzel is one of the many Black writers I've found and this is one of her everyday normal life stories.
I don't often speak up or share the things I'm reading. Maybe I'm hesitant to get up on my soapbox. But I am deeply troubled by the things that must be endured by so many - simply because of their skin color.
Maybe I could find the courage to speak up once in awhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment