Thursday, February 24, 2011

Love - Part Three: Supernatural

Once upon a time there was a handsome prince who met this beautiful princess...

Wait!
Cut!!!!
This is not Hollywood, folks!
Marriage is not a fairy tale.

This is a series of posts about different kinds of love and different ways to treat a woman. In the middle east, women are treated with less than respect. In the celebrity world, we are more surprised to hear of a long marriage than of a break-up. Throw-away relationships are very much in style.

But this discussion was not about Muslim men. It was not about movie stars. We are not in the Middle East nor are we in Hollywood. This story involved pastors - their actions and their beliefs. This discussion about how we love each other and relate to each other in marriage is in the context of Biblical principles. We are called to be ambassadors of the love of Jesus. Our relationships should reflect that love. Our marriages are to represent the relationship between Jesus and the church.

In the previous posts, I talked about two kinds of love - an immature, selfish kind of love says "I will love you if you meet my conditions" and a level of love that is unconditional and says "I love you... for better, for worse." This second kind is more mature, realizing that my beloved WILL disappoint me, but I will love anyway. Unconditional love sees the worth of the whole person and cares about the well-being of that person. Much could be said about the dynamics of that kind of love. Volumes have been written about respect, companionship, affirmation, faithfulness, encouragement, passion and compassion.

Human beings are pretty good at conditional love, but it is not so natural to offer
unconditional love. It takes effort to consider the needs of the other person and willingly submit to the wishes of the other. We can give ourselves for another - as instructed by Jesus' example in loving the church. Those of us who grew up in the church learned that this is called agape love - the kind of intentional, unconditional, compassionate love that promotes the well-being of the beloved.

At weddings our pastor often talks about the ancient meaning of husbandry - to cultivate, to nurture and to help grow - sorta' like a gardener. He challenges each husband to play that role for his wife - to cultivate her giftedness, to encourage her to grow, to help her become all that she was meant to be. Cool. That sounds a lot like how Christ loved the church. Of course, it can work both ways; wives can do the same for their husbands. It is somehow redemptive, isn't it? Sort of a way to cooperate with God in His work.

.......

How thankful I am for a husband who loves me unconditionally. He is faithful, kind and patient. He affirms me and encourages me to do what I was created to do even when other people may not see the value in it. Not only that, but he is a man who respects all women and has little patience with men who don't. He is an amazing example of God's love. Living in close proximity to this man, I certainly hope that it rubs off on me. I aspire to continue maturing in my practice of unconditional love and to participate in the redemption of the people around me.

.......

Once again, I'm reminded of Johnny Lingo.
Gonna' have to read that story again...

1 comment:

  1. That's the first time I have heard that story and I like it.

    ReplyDelete