One week ago today, I posted some of my thoughts about the protests in Cairo. That was also the day that my daughter was trying to get out of the country. (Yes, they finally got out late that night to neighboring Jordan.) Since I posted that note, I've been working on another which I had hoped to post today.
HOWEVER, just a couple hours ago Mubarek resigned. Suddenly the situation there has greatly changed. The world waits to see HOW this transition to democracy will happen even as we are stunned to see what HAS happened. To have sustained 18 days of protests is unbelievable. That the protests have been generally peaceful is incredible and amazing.
I don't claim to have any wisdom on such a complicated issue, but I have watched this whole thing with great interest and have wondered what will happen there. There are many varied perspectives on the situation - as we all consider how the unfolding of this drama will affect our lives, our countries or our future. There is also the question about which perspective, which opinion, which report, which article to believe.
I was interested to receive something from the perspective of Christians within Egypt about a week ago. It comes from the Evangelical Fellowship of Egypt confirming that the church all over Egypt is united in prayer for the country and calling on the church globally to pray with them. Though they are a small minority, they are deeply committed to being good citizens and contributing positively to the future health and development of their nation. Christians (evangelical, Coptic, Roman Catholic) are uniting in prayer in homes all over the country for the welfare of their beloved nation. They are praying for:
* wisdom for all leaders in Egypt – both for the present government and for the future leadership of the country,
* safety of the young people in Tahrir Square – some of them are Christian, some of them are Muslim. The Christians believe strongly that most Muslims and Christians are united in their common concern for the welfare of the nation,
* peaceful change,
* positive outcomes that will benefit the country as a whole, and will bring glory to God,
* positive impact on the region and the wider world as a result of the change in Egypt.
Obviously things have changed drastically since this alert was issued, but I think it is still a pretty good list.
No comments:
Post a Comment