Friday, February 4, 2011

Caring for Egypt

During many tragedies and disasters around the world that are highlighted on the evening news, I've made comment that "all we care about is the Americans." Never mind how many Indonesians died as long as all the movie stars are safe. Never mind that the Haitians will suffer for years to come from the effects of this quake; the Americans can leave the squalor and come back to their comfortable homes. There were no survivors of the plane crash, but fortunately no Americans were on board.

I know that it is natural for us to be more concerned for "our own" than for the nameless, faceless masses around the globe who suffer with no hope of relief. At times I have been one of those traveling Americans who was able to leave and come home. Yes, I have felt compassion for those who had no way out. Indeed I have tried to be a watchman and an advocate for those who suffer.

Once again, this week on the nightly news we have been watching video clips from Tahrir Square in Cairo, Egypt - going into the 11th day of protests and now new violence. We have been nervous, saddened, fearful - about many aspects. Westerners are rightly concerned about how this will affect the stability of the region. Many also feel great compassion for the Egyptians who have long lived in such difficult circumstances and are suffering even further during this time. But again, the most natural response for us is to care about the Americans who are there or how it affects us. Of course, we get upset when western journalists are attacked. Our eyes are glued to the TV screen for news of American tourists. Of course, we want them to be able to get out safely.

This time my voice is one of the loudest hoping for that to happen. This time I freely admit that my main concern is for two Americans who have been living within a few blocks of Tahrir. This time I have been carefully monitoring the news and the travel alerts from the State Department and waiting and watching and hoping and praying for them to be able to get out safely. This time it's my baby girl was living within earshot of the commotion at Tahrir Square. This time it's my daughter and husband who were "confronted" and detained by the mob as they tried to leave the area. This time it's my kids calling the American Embassy to be rescued from the angry mob. This time I am the mom who is relieved that my daughter has safely arrived at the airport and will momentarily board a plane to leave the country.

One thing that could easily happen is for me to stop caring about Egypt as her plane crosses the desert and leaves Egyptian airspace tonight. I pray that that will not be the case. I hope that my heart has been expanded once again to the plight of the Egyptian people and ultimately of people around the world. Because my daughter is leaving a piece of her heart in Egypt, because she loves the history and culture of that place, because she hurts for the people there, perhaps this experience of waiting and watching from the other side of the globe will make me a better person, a better mom and grandma, a better friend and neighbor, a better steward of my many blessings.

I can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment