What's wrong with the world? What makes me angry?
Injustice makes me angry - whether on the macro level or in "normal" life. Abuse makes me angry - whether verbal, emotional, sexual or spiritual. When you boil down the various forms of abuse and injustice, I guess you could say that it is a lack of respect for our fellow man. And along with that is a lack of civility everywhere you look - at least in our country - that seems to make it impossible to carry on a conversation that might help to improve the quality of life for us all.
So how do we fight injustice if we can't even agree to be civil with each other enough to discuss problems and solutions.
Whether the topic is about human rights or the economy or government or values and beliefs or how to measure success, it can be difficult to find a safe place to dialog. So many things people say are flat-out conversation-stoppers.
So when I hear someone spout some hateful bigoted declaration, it sets me off. It makes me angry, but it also makes me cry. It makes me feel helpless - which is not a good feeling for a fixer!
Yep, that's what makes me mad. I get so upset that I want to post my own strong statements about it. I want to speak out the perfect zinger that will make the offenders pause and realize their brutality - or at least their gross insensitivity. But then I realize I might also be guilty of not respecting those on the other side of the issue. Or someone whose perspective I do not understand. ACK!!!
So then I think maybe I should just shut up - because maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Well, and because I really don't like confrontation.
But then I feel like a coward.
What's a wimp like me supposed to do about injustice in the world anyway? How can I stand up to bullies and how can I be a peacemaker when I am quaking in my boots?
There is much that I cannot do, but I am learning that there are things that I can do.
I can stretch myself by learning what life is like for people different than me.
I can celebrate diversity.
I can speak with a calm tone when others are raving mad.
I can describe what it feels like to be oppressed and scared.
I can speak worth to those who are degraded.
I can respect those with whom I disagree.
I can choose to let civility be my guide.
I can create safe places in my sphere of influence. In my conversations. In my social relationships. On my Facebook page. On my blog.
I can challenge those around me to let themselves be stretched by knowledge and understanding.
...
Because I tend to be fearful when I'm in a place that is obviously unsafe, I understand how important safety is for growth and healing. So this might be my mission: to create safe places.
But it is hard. Hard to push myself to be civil and respectful. Hard to go the extra mile and invest the extra effort to get the facts and understand the feellings.
I do not have all the answers - and haven't even thought of all the questions. BUT I do know some steps that I can take. One. At. A. Time...
Civil conversation
Diversity
Empathy
Freedom
Grace
...
Well, look at that. I seem to have slipped into an old habit of alphabetizing my list. What do you know?
Sure enough, maybe it's not so hard after all. In fact, maybe it's as easy as A, B, C...
D, E, F...
...
Sure; why not?
Respect
Safety
Tolerance
Understanding
Value
Worth...
Yep, I guess there are things that I can do - and that I can encourage others to do.
Simple, basic things.
Important things.

No comments:
Post a Comment