Friday, August 8, 2014

Fill (Five-Minute Friday)

Fill (Five-Minute Friday)

I guess I used to think it was important to fill things up.

I had a big house and it was full.

I had the biggest kitchen in the county with huge cabinets and I tended to fill them up.

I used to fill my calendar - partly because I seemed to judge my importance by my busyness.

...

I don't think I do that so much anymore. Since beginning the downsizing process, I have learned much about the value of less. The value of empty space - whether on my calendar or in my pantry.

Because we have been living in a tiny house on wheels we have had to live with less. Fewer pans, fewer dishes, fewer and smaller utensils. Fewer clothes. Fewer books.

When we get back home next week where there is more room to spread out, I wonder if I will be tempted to fill things up again. Will I want to fill the shelves? Will I tend to fill my calendar again?

I hope not. I think I've had my fill of living with excess. I really really hope that I will be able to continue pitching so that we can live with less and less.


...



To participate in Five Minute Friday write for five minutes on the topic of the week and post it on your own blog or post your five minutes of writing in the comments here each week, or on the Five Minute Friday Facebook page.

This is meant to be a free write, which means: no editing, no over-thinking, no worrying about perfect grammar or punctuation.

Just write.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! What a great remainder that it's not how much we have in life, but the value of what we do have. It definitely makes me take a moment to look at what I have and what I'm trying to fill my life with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Kelsea. Yes, I seem to need to be reminded on a regular basis.

      Delete