How can this young woman be mine? How could I have raised someone who would surpass me in so many ways?
When you were little, I was proud of all the ways you were like me - and I still am. But somewhere in those early years you also began to develop characteristics that often elude me. Things like grace and kindness and respect toward other people. I guess you got those from your dad. Things that I have begun to learn from you. Like patience and diligence. And then there's your servant heart. And your calm demeanor and ability to bring peace to situations that are not naturally peaceful. I often remind myself of your words "Tranquila, Mama." I find myself grateful that you found a calm and gentle way to say it without using that other phrase - "Geez, Mom; take a chill pill!" - that lots of kids tell their moms. When I remember your tranquil reminder, I consciously take a deep breath and begin to ask myself what is causing me to feel stress and what I can do about it. I think that I am learning to be gentler and kinder and more patient with myself - and hopefully with others as well.
When you were little, I was proud of all the ways you were like me - and I still am. But somewhere in those early years you also began to develop characteristics that often elude me. Things like grace and kindness and respect toward other people. I guess you got those from your dad. Things that I have begun to learn from you. Like patience and diligence. And then there's your servant heart. And your calm demeanor and ability to bring peace to situations that are not naturally peaceful. I often remind myself of your words "Tranquila, Mama." I find myself grateful that you found a calm and gentle way to say it without using that other phrase - "Geez, Mom; take a chill pill!" - that lots of kids tell their moms. When I remember your tranquil reminder, I consciously take a deep breath and begin to ask myself what is causing me to feel stress and what I can do about it. I think that I am learning to be gentler and kinder and more patient with myself - and hopefully with others as well.
Actually there are several things that you DON'T do that most people do. Things like having to express your opinion on everything that comes into view. Things like venting your frustration in inappropriate places or ways. Things like putting people down. Things like judging those who are different from you. I can learn much from your example - by observing the things you don't do.
Yep, I celebrate you today. I am so glad that you were born and that it has been my privilege to be your momma. Happy birthday, dear girl.




No comments:
Post a Comment