I didn't know what to expect on Facebook after the Supreme Count ruling on Friday. I have to admit that I thought it might get ugly. But I am happy to report that I was pleasantly surprised by the general tone of my news feed. It's true that several of my Christian friends expressed sadness and disappointment and a few of them posted Scripture verses, but there was not as much rancor or doomsday panic as I've heard before. I appreciate my pastor friends who spoke out calling for compassion and respect rather than judgment and hellfire. Generally, the Christian response was reasonable and I was relieved by the relative calm.
On the other hand my gay friends and liberal allies reacted reasonably as well. Certainly there are lots of rainbows in celebration for those who have felt oppressed and disrespected and unsafe. But on my newsfeed as least, I saw very little gloating or taunting. Just celebration and joy about the protection of human rights.
...
Disclaimer: Oh, yah; I realize that the extreme responses are out there. I have bumped into them. The "I told you so" victors and the gloom and doom prophets. I am well aware that some of my friends are passionately and deeply invested (on both sides) and may be suffering or celebrating in silence. But I am referring to my own personal newsfeed that has surprised me with its relative calm tone over the last couple days.
...
I have to say that I'm pretty proud of my friends. I have written before about feeling caught in the middle. About the tension that can come from having such diverse friendships - all over the map philosophically and politically. There have been plenty of times when my newsfeed has been ablaze and tense. But this time, it has been a mostly happy spot to be. What a relief to observe my friends on both sides behaving maturely and reasonably and with respect even.
...
So why are things calmer than expected this time? Is it simply because I've unfollowed (or been de-friended by) the most vocal fringe acquaintances? Is it that people are resigned to the outcome and have decided now is not the time to fight? Or is it possible that something has really changed in the bigger picture? I don't really believe that. I have to assume the rancor and the fear are still out there under the surface. But for today, for this moment, I am celebrating the fact that I have some awesome friends. I am rejoicing that being "in the middle" is not such a scary place to be for once. And it is still a place that stretches me. Both ways.
...
Here's to you, my diverse and wonderful friends.
I am glad you are in my life.
Friends like you make me a better person.
And you keep life interesting!

No comments:
Post a Comment