I do love bookstores. How can a book lover not like a place that is full of books? And I love that Totem Books has one giant bookshelf on the OUTSIDE of the building.
Of the many wonderful murals around the city provided by the Flint Public Art Project, this is one of my favorites. And because Totem Books is within a mile of my house I get to enjoy it every time I drive by.
But I don’t always just drive by. Sometimes it is my destination - to actually go inside - for meetings or events or just to hang out. I remember one of my first visits after we moved here seven years ago and I was wishing to meet other writers in my new city. I came to Totem for a MeetUp writers’ group. I did meet some new friends that night. Thanks, MeetUp. Thanks, Totem. Such a wonderful place to gather.
Then the Flint Literary Festival hosted an open mic session at Totem - my first time at such an event. I have also attended author readings to celebrate newly-released books as well as other writerly events. I guess I got my wish because yes, some of those very writers are now my friends.
I had wandered around the store enough to know that it is a cool and interesting place - feeling almost like an art museum - or yes, an artsy bookstore.
Most of the walls and a few of the shelves are lined with works of art - classic posters, paintings, ancient artifacts, and eclectic collections - amidst the stacks of books. Most of them are used books, with a few new books available - mostly about Flint or written by Flint authors.
One really cool thing about Totem is their music section. Vintage vinyl records, CD’s and even cassette tapes… Wait; are there some 45’s? And 8-tracks? Maybe. I'm losing track. And what a range of genres and styles... from classic to country, easy listening, rock, soul, R&B… jazz and more jazz… blues… Oh, my. Some of these might want to come home with me…
But wait! What about the books?
- Art, architecture, art technique, art collections, art history, modern art
- Biographies, classics, kids’ classics, cars, travel
- History & mystery
- Nature, environment, pets, outdoor activities, sports
- Business, politics, psychology, religion, philosophy
- Drama, sci-fi/fantasy, true crime
Amazing.
But when will I find the time to read some of these?
I guess it’s time to get started!
This more intentional visit "just for me" has helped me realize that most of my Totem visits have been of the event/meeting type rather than personal ones. Might be time to tip the balance. I’ll still come to support my writer friends, of course, but I could also come more often to support the writer in me. And the reader...
My thanks to Aron, the manager, Rudy who is the newest staffer and introduced himself as the “low man on the totem pole,” and Frances, the all-around good sport… Thank you all for making me feel welcome and at home.
...
Yes, I see what you did there, Rudy!
And yes. I love how these chairs are facing the stacks!
P.S. I recently discovered an article from Gerret and Heather at Hidden Gems. Totem Books: Uniquely Curated Used Bookstore & Coffee Shop. Check it out! Oops, I didn’t even mention the beverage options, did I?






No comments:
Post a Comment