Friday, July 25, 2014

Five-minute Friday and the word is FINISH

Five-minute Friday.
That's when you set the timer for five minutes and just type. No editing. Just type.
Then you are supposed to link to the Five-Minute Friday web page, but my computer has not been cooperating lately. But at least I write...
...

Today's word: finish

...

I'm not a good finisher.
Actually I'm a terrible finisher.
I'm a good starter or even a dabbler, but I'm not a good finisher.
I get lots of grand ideas and I start some of them, but they seldom see completion.
I seem to run out of steam.

It happens in lots of areas of life, but particularly with writing. I have ideas, I start gathering notes, I may write a lot of words, I might even get it mostly done, but I seldom actually finish.
So too with big projects in the rest of life.

Why am I so likely not to finish? What things contribute to my not finishing? I suppose there could be lots of reasons. Sometimes it may simply be that the task is too complex. That I don't know how to finish - or that it may be too difficult and I don't have the determination or the follow through.
And what are the consequences of not finishing? Well, I have this huge collection of unfinished projects. All kinds of loose ends. And they tend to cause me to feel crappy about myself.

  • A famous person once said that incompletions are great stressors.

Well, I really hope to finish something today. Something big. Yep, yep. Today I hope to finish the Alaska Highway. And what an accomplishment it will be - even though I am not the one to really get the credit. My hubby is the one who has driven all those miles. My major credit comes from not gasping too loudly about the latest scary curve as I clutch the door handle a little tighter and my knuckles get a little whiter...

Nope; my man gets the credit - for hanging tight to that steering wheel as he guides those seven tons of steel around the steep narrow curves, for such sensible engine braking, for his calm demeanor, and for his patience with my tension. And I get to just ride along.

...

And you? How are you at finishing?

...

By the way, we made it. We finished the Alaska Highway! Both ways!!!
Now let's see what else I can finish...

5 comments:

  1. Kaye I hear you loud and clear I am struggling to finish too. But each day I take one little step closer to finishing a story and that in itself pushes me to keep going. SLOW yes but not giving up. Wish I had the chance to see Alaska as you have it is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right; one step at a time. I have had to accept that when we are on the road, I can't necessarily get much writing done, but I do what I can.
      As for finishing things, my husband is really good at that so I try to learn from him.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Kaye. Finishing the Alaska Highway. That's something to be proud of. I too have grand ideas and lots of words written. Not finishing projects. Well some do get finished, although it might take months or years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. And even if it takes months or years, it is still accomplishment. You are an inspiration to me and to so many.

      Delete