When we are on the road every day, things tend to get a little mixed up - and not even through any fault of our own. After all, we have to keep things tidy and picked up and put away or we wouldn't be able to move around or function in the tiny bit of floor space left when we put the slider in for travel. I guess the biggest point of disorganization on this leg of the journey has been the jumble of things in the cupboards. I'm not totally sure why they are worse this time than the other previous journeys, but I do know a couple reasons.
The obvious culprit has been the horribly rough roads in Alaska as well as through Canada along the Alaska Highway. Those miles are brutal. I am thankful to have lost only one dish to breakage - after hearing stories from other campers about opening a drawer and finding nothing but fragments of broken glass and even just powder. Yah, yah, I should have known better than bring ANY glass dishes. But, hey, evidently I did know better than some people because I brought only a very few pieces and I normally wrap them for travel.
But even beyond the breakage issue is that things simply slide around and tip over and then slide some more. I think perhaps our pantry was not as full this time which would certainly have allowed more room for things to roll and scoot around.
So the moral of the story is to cut back on the glass dishes and don't forget to cushion the ones we do have. And keep those shelves either full or empty. AND maybe to choose our route more carefully from now on. Like maybe not travel the Alcan again!
As I was saying, I'm feeling very thankful to have a day to slow down and take care of business. And then a couple more days to rest and hang out with dear friends. That feels really good after being on the road for 11 days straight.
I'm reminded once again that we need two kinds of days off - at least. We need days off from our normal routine to take care of business. And we need days off for rest and refreshment. I'm thankful we get some of each today and this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment