Friday, December 19, 2014

Goodbye and hello


Once upon a time, when I was settled down in my comfortable life and couldn't imagine ever leaving, I remember feeling sorry for friends who moved away. I couldn't understand why they would choose to pull up roots or how they could be okay with it. Somehow it seemed to me that leaving would be more painful than good.

Today we are the ones who have pulled up roots and are heading out. Some of our friends look at us and just sort of shake their heads. I can imagine some of the things they might be thinking... and some of them actually tell us. There seems to be a bit of astonishment at least and probably wonder - wondering how or why we would do such a thing. Most often there is an acknowledgment that it must be really hard. And yes, there are hard parts to it. The good-byes and the letting go, but there is also excitement. Things we look forward to. Things we choose to be our new life.

Hubby says it well: You say good-bye and I say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment