According to Joshua Becker, these are the themes of Christmas, the things that should not be kept to ourselves: Love, joy, peace, hope, reconciliation, goodwill.
The very things that our society so desperately needs this year. At this moment. The very things that seem so evasive when we watch the nightly news. It is so easy to feel hopeless and helpless. I can't fix it. I don't really even know how to make anything better.
But I do know quite a few things NOT to do. I recognize lots of things that do NOT help. Things that harm others or that escalate the tension. Things that would be better left unsaid.
I long to be an ambassador of those Christmas themes. An ambassador of peace and hope and goodwill. Even if my attempts seem so terribly futile, I want to find ways to make things better in this world.
I want to have the wisdom and self-control to keep my mouth shut at opportune times. May I have the good sense to not say hurtful or volatile things.
I also want to have the courage to speak peace and hope to those who need to hear. May I not back off from the difficult gestures.
As I finish my shopping and holiday prep, may I remember to watch for ways to pass along these good gifts: love, joy, peace, hope, reconciliation, and goodwill.


No comments:
Post a Comment