Monday, February 23, 2015

What's your excuse?

 
We all have excuses. Good excuses. Bad excuses.

There are really good reasons why we do the things we do... Good reasons why we choose not to do other things. But sometimes the things that seem like good reasons turn out to be just excuses.


We make choices and those choices bring about consequences. Some of those consequences turn into obstacles for our future choices. When we come to a point where we really want to make big changes in our lives, we bump into those obstacles and have new choices to make. It can be a vicious cycle.

 
Obstacles make pretty good excuses to stay where we are. Unless, of course, we get to the point where we don't want them to block us anymore - at which point we can decide to do something about them. Of course, it won't always be easy. And sometimes it may not even be possible to remove the obstacles. But we will probably never find out until we try.




Allison Vesterfelt has experience with letting good reasons become excuses - obstacles that kept her from achieving her goals. Fortunately, she has also learned much about dismantling those excuses. In this article she deals with some of the most common excuses I've heard - AND used:
  • I don't have the money.
  • I don't have the time.
  • It's not possible.
Yes, sometimes those are true. Sometimes they are valid reasons. But sometimes they are not really good reasons. Sometimes they are simply excuses.


 What's your excuse?

Have you taken time to examine it carefully?

Is it a good reason? Or is it simply an excuse?

Is there something you can do about it?


What are you willing to do?


...


I keep asking myself what I am willing to do about my excuses.




No comments:

Post a Comment