Thursday, November 2, 2023

How lucky I am

I was feeling a bit down this morning.

Discouraged, deflated, maybe even a smidge grumpy.

And sad.

I was missing someone special.

Grieving their loss.

So sad.


Suddenly my alarm jangles, rudely reminding me that it is Thankful Thursday.

Bah, humbug.


I’m not feeling thankful at the moment; thank you very much.

I’m sad and maybe even mad.

I don’t like the pain of missing people.

I don’t like loss.


Do I even want to be thankful?

Maybe I’d rather stay grumpy.


Winnie the Pooh found a way to put a positive spin on this kind of sadness.

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”


Not sure I can find Pooh’s level of exuberance this morning, but I guess I can pause to consider his wisdom. 

I mean... he IS right.

I really am lucky to have known this someone who was so wonderful... that missing them is really hard.


That doesn’t necessarily mean that I won’t be sad or grumpy.  I mean there I was slogging around in the swamp of longing and loneliness - and along comes Thankful Thursday - interrupting my belly-aching session.


How rude.  

Which of course highlights the very reason for practicing Thankful Thursday.

And for setting that alarm.  

‘Tis a reminder that I need.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this reminder. It's easy to wallow in longing and loneliness and miss the blessings all around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. So I'm not the only one that needs the reminder, huh?

      Delete