Friday, November 24, 2023

Writing groups I have known

My first memory of writing groups was one led by my brother-in-law, Jerry.  I had heard of such gatherings and imagined them to be wonderful spaces. His group did not disappoint.  That first visit would whet my appetite even though it was a critique group - for which I was not ready - and it was too far to drive regularly.  But from that day forth I would hope to find a writing group that would be the right fit for me.


After landing in a place where I knew nobody, I got up the nerve to join Meet-ups to look for a writing group. I found two - in sequence.  The first was yet another critique group composed of all fiction writers so it was obviously not a good fit for me, but I attended a couple times anyway, because I knew that I could still benefit from being around other writers.  Sure enough, I was fascinated to listen to an amazing woman relate to the group how she was switching genres at age 102 - because she “can’t see well enough to write fiction any more."  So there she was trying her hand at writing poetry - which for some reason seemed to work better. Go figure.


After landing in our next place, I discovered my second writing Meet-up… just a mile from my house. In this group I met a dear friend with whom I felt an instant connection.  It has been my privilege to know her and learn from her.


Also in this new place, I was lucky enough to discover and attend the very first Flint Festival of Writers - and then the second and the third… I figure a writing festival is a bit like a writing group - just with a different format.  What fun to hang out with real writers and learn from them!  Amazingly some of them have become my friends.  I feel blessed.


Out of those festivals and through those friendships, I discovered yet another local writing group - this one within walking distance - at UM-Flint's Writing Center.*  It turned out to be a good fit for me.  I do admit I struggled a bit with imposter syndrome at first - because these people had studied writing in college and knew way more than I do since my major was not in literature nor writing composition.  But they welcomed me and encouraged me so genuinely and so consistently that my confidence grew to the point where I published a book!  And then another!  That’s just crazy.


Ooh, and there was that one other group.  I remember talking with one of my new writer friends about the maxim “If you can’t find the right writing group, start your own.”  And so we did.  Somehow a group of just the right people came together and we had such fun and learned so much.  I guess the time was right.  And then it wasn’t.  Circumstances changed for several in the group and we moved on, but what a delight to be part of it while it was happening.


Finding a sense of belonging in a writing group has played a huge role not only in my writing journey but also in my journey of life… because writing is one of the most significant ways I make sense of my life.  To say I am thankful for such groups would most indubitably be an understatement.  That’s why they make the cut for my Thankful Week posts.  


...

* My thanks to the helpful tutors at the Marian E. Wright Writing Center for the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment