Too much input
A bit overwhelmed
Almost a bit of panic
My FOMO is kicking in
(Yah, that would be my fear of missing out.)
It's all such good stuff. Such interesting and smart people - writers even. I want to get to know them all and learn from them and read their stuff and subscribe to their blogs and buy their books. But I can't keep up. I can't even keep them all straight. I don't have time to read all the good stuff they post, let alone to interact, to comment or join in on discussions. No time to try out their good ideas. No chance to experiment. Not enough energy to take advantage of all the neat opportunities.
...
This online writing class is awesome. In some ways taking a class online is even better than it would be in the classroom. This is one of those ways - all of these wise people from around the globe that we can chat with any time of the day or night. But herein lies part of the problem. If we were sitting in a classroom, maybe I could keep up with the conversation. Maybe. Maybe not.
What to do?
It's not unlike an all-you-can-eat buffet - and those places are frightful for me. Of course I want to try everything, but I cannot possibly digest it all. I'd be miserable if I tried - not to mention how unhealthy it would be - or maybe downright sinful.
So I have to make choices. Tough choices. Agonizing choices. Saying YES to this selection means I have to say NO to several others. And I hate having to say NO - especially to something that I want.
There must be a lesson in here somewhere - or probably several obvious ones that I'm dealing with every day in my work and the rest of my life. Or maybe there's nothing terribly profound or symbolic. Maybe it's just one more symptom of the fast pace that we Americans think is normal.
...
Two months ago I was living in the midst of a very poor neighborhood in the Dominican Republic. In one way, we lived like they did - in that we walked to get our food and we purchased only what we would need for a day or two at a time. Many of them don't have refrigerators but then maybe they don't really need one. Why would they? Leftovers are unheard-of. The concept of stocking up on food ahead of time and storing it away is a strange and foreign one to them.
Last week we returned home to a malfunctioning freezer and had to pitch out a bunch of stinking spoiled food. Food that we had stored away because we had more than we needed. It made me feel a little sick to waste food like this, to throw away more food than they could ever afford to buy in the first place.
Moms used to tell kids to clean their plates because children are starving in Africa. And kids used to suggest "Well, then; send THIS to them!"
So what is the right answer?
What do we do with surplus? The more-than-enough?
I'm smart enough to know that I can't absorb all of the great info available in this course and can't become buddies with all of these creative people. I guess maybe the best I can do is to pace myself, to make strategic use of my fridge... I mean my computer and my internet access. And when I come across some really good morsels, I can even "share" with my friends and my neighbors who might need it. That sounds a whole lot easier then shipping my leftovers to the starving children overseas.
...
So how do you handle your surplus?
Do you make good use of your leftovers?
...
BTW, writing friends, if you're interested in this sumptuous feast, the writing course is again open for new students. I do highly recommend it and I will be there working on bite-sized pieces. I'd love to have you along at the buffet. Jeff Goins is even making one lesson available free so you can get a taste of the goodies that are offered.
Excellent insight, Kaye! Especially for my Western mind that wants it all... now! I'm gonna try to pace my self, and savor my daily manna. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteTricky, isn't it, Mike. We are so conditioned that we can have it all - and that having more than enough is a sign of success. It's tough to reject that mentality - especially when so many of the choices are so tantalizing.
DeleteI completely understand what you mean about being overwhelmed. When I first started the TribeWriters journey myself, I joined every launch team, read every blog, commented on as many facebook conversation I could, and tried to be as involved as possible. I discovered this sapped my energy and creativity, so I had to step back.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Chris, for giving me permission - sort of. I appreciate knowing that I'm not the only one - AND that it's okay to not keep up with ALL of it.
DeleteLove Tribe Writers! Recommend it! lmc
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping in - and for your help ahead of time.
DeleteGreat post!
ReplyDeleteI fully understand, so much to see-do-experience, so little time. Fortunately time is on our side as the course is a process, not a time-stamped to do list. It morphs as we learn and transforms us from the inside out.
Yes, I am so glad we don't have a time restriction. Thanks for commenting.
DeleteHi Kaye
ReplyDeleteon the same journey I take it all at my own pace, I agree with Chris, if you read into it all too much you lose yourself and your own goals. I take little morsels off the group at the moment because I am trying to focus on getting to where some of those amazing writers are already. Take out of it what you can use. We can do it Kaye in our own special way. My head is spinning with all the information I have to use so far it is awesome. See you in there
Thanks for the encouragement.
DeleteFOMO-I think we all suffer from that. I'm glad you're battling your fears and sticking with Tribe Writers. It's a great program. To use your food analogy, it's kind of like having the benefit of eating your veggies with the pleasure of eating dessert.
ReplyDeleteYes, a bit of balance is good.
DeleteFor sure, I'm sticking with the program; I'm just getting started!
Love this, Kaye! And yes, we can't keep up with everyone and it's hard to pick and choose. But I highly recommend this class to anyone who wants to grow and build their tribe.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joan. We'll just keep on making those choices.
DeleteI think this is really great. You are speaking to a lot of people who take this course, including me. I don't try to relate to everyone, which would just lead to shallow, incomplete interactions. I found a few people that I relate well to, and really focus on supporting them. If we all do that, every one will be covered! Cheers, Kathleen
ReplyDeleteGood words, Kathleen; thanks.
DeleteKaye, nice meeting you in this large community of ours, which is getting larger every couple of months. Your words and feelings resonate so much with my own. I want it all as well. I don't want to miss out on anything. Yet this has kept me from writing, so I had to stay away and concentrate on finishing my book. I was lost to the world for a couple of months. If however, I needed some support or advice, all I had to do was post a line or two and many would come to my rescue. We love and support each other, whether we read every post and blog or not.
ReplyDeleteNow that I submitted my book for publishing, I have the change to read a few worderful blogs and chit-chat with a few Tribers. In a few days, back to fasting, both for our Orthodox Great Lent and from the social media.
It is the happy medium we have to find; not easy to practice in the culture of access and of "more is better mentality."
Blessings to you!
Katina Vaselopulos
Thanks for sharing your perspective.
DeleteBlessings to you, too.
Just eat one sandwich at a time. There is so much information. Ask as many questions as you want to, even ask the same question three different ways. There is always someone to answer. We are a team, a team of Tribe Writers. No rush, you are always a member.
ReplyDeleteOoh; good advice - even asking the same question over & over. Thanks.
DeleteYou stated exactly how I feel about Tribewriters. I had never thought of it as an all-you-can-eat buffet. But that is a great description.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Eva. It's kinda' nice to discover I'm not the only one.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Kaye!
ReplyDeleteNow you are interacting with a whole bunch of Tribe Writers. You just had to be brave and speak up. And look at us. We listened. :-)
I am a part of Jeff's first course launch. I'm only on module 2. I felt overwhelmed at the beginning and just had to hang on and glean what I could from all the conversations. Now I'm just taking it one lesson at a time and asking questions whenever I need help.
You're not alone. :-)
Thanks for the encouragement. It does help to hear from others who are walking the same road.
Delete