Thursday, October 25, 2012

Amazing Day Number 25: farewell

Just two months until Christmas, but what a lovely warm day for sitting in the sun in tank top and shorts, leaning back in the chair and gazing at the tree tops. The white birches stretch their necks beyond the deep dark green of the tall stately spruce trees as they stand together in stark contrast against the brilliant blue sky and the nearby yellow-green willow weeps gracefully and waves good-bye to summer.

I have sat and gazed at this sky before – in another place and another time – and wondered how much I would miss that spot. But it is the same sky and I can still sit in this spot and gaze upon it – just for today, the last day warm enough to do so for this year.

There are things I could be doing, maybe even should be doing. But this is a farewell, isn’t it? And farewells are valuable, worth taking time for. This one can’t be put off until tomorrow because the moment will have passed and the temperature will have dropped. So the “could’s” and “should’s” can wait while I bid farewell to summer. Tomorrow I will move on to the next season with its long sleeves and its pile of projects, but today I will be amazed by the beauty, by the sky and by life. I will marvel in the wonder and and bask in the warmth.

Farewell, sweet summer.
You were amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment