The last amazing day
No, wait; I hope that’s not true.
Try that again.
The last of the amazing days...
Of the 31-day challenge, that is...
When I decided to take this challenge, I guessed that I may not have the energy or the creativity to “make amazing things happen” but I hoped that I would begin to notice the amazing things around me. Sure enough; that was true. I didn’t make many amazing things happen; I simply learned to focus on some of the amazing and wonder-filled happenings right there in front of my eyes. Most of the amazing things that I’ve written about were not to my credit; I was not the catalyst. I was simply the observer, the celebrant.
By the way, a few of the things that I noticed were not what I would call “amazing good” – as in warm, fuzzy, wonderful things, but some of them were “shake-my-head-in-amazement" sad or disappointing or scary. They were things that made me wonder how people (including me) could be so thoughtless or selfish.
On the other hand there were also a few things that made me shake my head in wonder and astonishment about how unfathomable certain things on this planet are to my relatively small mind. They made me realize that I do not indeed “know it all” nor do I have things under control and, for the most part, that’s okay. I do not need to know it all – which is a great relief really – nor do I need to control everything and everyone. Well, except for the things that I should control – which I can/should/will keep trying to whip into shape, but which are quite few in number. Life is much easier and more pleasant for me and those around me when I stop trying to control things that are none of my business. Perhaps this 31-day practice of noticing the amazing stuff will be one more step in letting go of that inappropriate control. Now that would be amazing!
…
Disclaimer: To my credit, this is not my first time to realize that I am not the God of the universe nor is it my first attempt to relinquish control of things that are not in my department, but hopefully it has been a good reminder. And as for those things that ARE my responsibility, things that I SHOULD get under control, things that I AM in charge of… this has also been an ongoing process. So I choose to celebrate those areas where I am making good strides toward getting those things in order. And I commit to continue that noble effort.
…
Yes, these have been amazing days, days filled with amazing things. If I had not taken this challenge, I have to wonder how many of them I would have missed.
What a grand way this is to live, to notice and celebrate the amazing-ness all around me!
What if I were able to continue noticing and celebrating?
What if my eyes would be wide open in wonder more of the time?
That would indeed be amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment