Thursday, January 23, 2014

Daylight and darkness

Feeling subdued this morning. Again. Here we are in southern California with sunshine and warmth. And I'm grateful. But...

But... I just have to think of friends and family back home who are dealing with crap. Where all is not sunshine and warmth. Where life is downright awful. Where there are no easy answers. Where there aren't even ANY answers - easy or otherwise. Where each new day has more than its share of pain and really, really hard stuff to deal with.

Sometimes I wish we were there. OFTEN I wish we were there. To help - although I wouldn't know how to help. I don't have the answers. But just to be there. To lend my/our presence. To give hugs or back scratches. To listen. To cry together.

So what do we do with all that? Do we figure out a way to go back? How do we know?

...

Ah, there's a bit of daylight. Just a bit.  Where all was darkness, finally some faint light.

And with that teeny bit of light I can see the outlines of the mountains. Ah, yes, there are mountains surrounding us. Can't forget the mountains. What do we do about the mountains? Do we stay in our little valley and go on with every day life here - or do we shake things up and find a way up and over these particular mountains to locate somewhere else? Somewhere where we may or may not do more good. Where we may serve a different purpose.

We all have mountains. Mountains sometimes give good gifts - like shelter or beauty or inspiration. Mountains also restrict. Mountains can be dangerous and deadly.  Mountains demand much of us. Courage. Energy. Faith. Wisdom. Perspective.  Patience.

...

I guess I don't have to figure it all out right this minute. I can appreciate the daylight that is creeping into my world and be grateful that darkness turns to dawn yet another day. I do and I am. Oh, yes, I do appreciate daylight and I am grateful when darkness gives way to dawn. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment