Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thankful Thursday: on loneliness

Adventures can be lonely. Epic journeys come at the price of painful goodbyes and a great sense of distance.

In an unfamiliar little town where you know nobody and barely recognize the language, loneliness seems to lurk in the shadows.

On the Oklahoma prairie, loneliness no longer lurks nor hides, but steps boldly onto center stage assuming a more visible and more audible role in the desolate howling of the wind as it swirls little dust clouds into your eyes.

Connection is vital.

For me to feel connected, while on this journey as well as in daily life, the internet is an invaluable tool. I do love the internet. I am so very grateful to have been born in such a time that at least some of my years could include the connectivity of the world wide web.

Partnership is also vital.

This would not be fun as a solo journey, but because I have a partner, there is shared adventure. We can celebrate together, but we can also lift the other's spirits. Our unique individual attributes complement those of the other to make us stronger together.

So on this potentially lonely Thursday out on a desolate prairie, I am thankful for internet access at least now and then and extremely thankful for my amazing partner - on every mile of the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment