Tucked in the valley, I cannot actually see the sun as it rises, but I can see it shining on the mountains around us. It lights up the peaks - first the tall one behind our ridge that I never even noticed before - and then the closer peaks. Slowly the light from the ridge creeps down the slopes until eventually it breaks into our lovely park. Little splotches here and there. On the tree tops outside my window, then the trunks, and finally hits the ground in little chunks on the lanes and clearings.
Oh, what a glorious process!
...
My friend Nancy Bouwens talks about perspective and asks whether we are focusing on the mud or on the stars. It reminds me a bit of my current reality.
Here I am, off on this incredible adventure, fortunate enough to have escaped the Michigan winter and be living in balmy southern California. I am definitely grateful for the privilege and am continually reminded of my blessings. I certainly don't not want to be whiny and complaining.
BUT, some things are still hard. Because this is real life.
'Tis true that some things are easier because we are here. The warm temperatures allow me to get outside and do more walking which will hopefully have a healing effect on my joints and muscles.
It is also true that some things are harder because we are here - or at least because we are away. There are complicated situations at home that are made much more difficult for us and possibly for others by us not being there in person to care for the physical details of the various situations and responsibilities. It is hard. No question.
Then some things are hard just because they are hard. They are not necessarily any easier or any harder because of our location. It is just that we are living life and life is hard sometimes.
When you depart one time zone for another, move from one climate to another, you don't get to leave all of your problems behind. Nope; you simply trade one set of problems for another set. Some things get better, some seem worse, and some just go with you wherever you go.
...
While I was reading what Nancy wrote about choosing between the stars and the mud, I realized that I have my own sky or ground scenario. Yes, I have the positive choice of gazing at the sky. My "looking at the ground" option might have more to do with focusing on the pickers and other hazards on the ground than with mud. Things that can trip me up and cause me pain. I love, love, LOVE watching the sunshine hit the mountain peaks in the morning and gradually creep down the slopes... I don't so much love the thorns that get stuck in my flip-flops and attack my feet. They are both part of my present reality. Given the current record-breaking drought going on in this area, things probably won't get much more pleasant or healthy underfoot, so wisdom suggests that I pay attention and find ways to protect myself from further injury. At the same time, I will be grateful for the sun lighting up the mountain peaks in succession each morning, for the amazing blue sky during the day, and for the full moon at night. I will continue to appreciate and enjoy them even while exercizing caution about where I step.
...
Kaye- I can (almost) see the mountains... and feel the warmth of the sun... (almost) We are in Mich too, and as you know the winter chill has been fierce! Your post is a powerful reminder that regardless of where we are physically- there are thorns and pickers to trip us up. We need to keep our eyes looking up... but still be aware of where we are headed.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the mentions.. and please- send a little sunshine our way.. Hugs friend!
Nancy
Thanks again, Nancy. I wish I knew how to share some of our sunshine and warm temps with you.
DeleteI love watching the sunrise too. You captured it's beauty so well.
ReplyDeleteIt's true - each season has its beauty and its thorns.
Thanks, Deanne. Perspective is so important, yah?
Delete