Monday, October 2, 2017

Amazing Day #2: Resources galore

I remember the day when the nearest Kmart was an hour away. Going to the city was a big event and it didn’t happen very often.  I also remember when Kmart came to a nearby town and then Walmart - still 20 or 30 miles away.  Even McDonald’s came to our town - which was nearly 10 miles from home.  Even then I would rarely choose to go to town for just one item because it hardly seemed worth the trip.  The shopping list might get pretty long before we would venture into town.  This tendency probably came from the stock-up mentality of my childhood.

And then I remember living on Dauphin Island and having to drive to the mainland for our serious grocery shopping.  We made the trip as rarely as possible.

But now…  Oh, my.  We have ALL of them within five miles of our house - Walmart, Meijer, Target - not to mention pretty much every fast food and chain restaurant known to man.  Incredible!  Amazing.  

And it’s not just the chain stores and restaurants.  There are also historical diners which we are still discovering like the one we tried today.  The West Side Diner offers an old-time atmosphere while serving yummy fresh food right now, today.  


And here’s the thing.  These are the places within five miles that we can drive to - BESIDES all the wonderful things within a mile that we can walk to!  That is something that I love and which provides me lots of amazing days!  I bet I’ll write about some of them in the next few days!

...

So, yes, today is an amazing day.
We were able to pick up supplies at the big modern supermarket and the home improvement center and then step back in time to meet friends for lunch at the diner.  
Pretty amazing.

...

Read other posts from this challenge here


No comments:

Post a Comment