Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Amazing Day #3: Opportunity overload

I have the tendency to get too busy.  
Now THERE's an understatement.

Busyness was often my default setting - perhaps because I somehow thought that my busyness was an indication of my importance.  If I was so busy, I must be important; right?  Actually the real reason might be as simple as the fact that I am not very good at saying no.  I don’t like to miss out on anything so I want to try everything.  A buffet table is a dangerous place for me.  

Once upon a time I began to learn how to not be so over-committed - and discovered that I really loved having a simpler and less stressful life and schedule. 


But…
Now I suddenly find myself too busy again.  
Today is a case in point.  
There are THREE things that we want to attend tonight.  A triple-header.  The first is a regular weekly commitment that is important to us.  The second is a less regular one, but still holds the potential to be important in terms of neighborhood life here and we really feel a pull to attend that one as well.  The third is not as high of a priority, but still a cause that we want to support.

It wasn’t too hard to cross the third option off the list, but the decision between the first two has become almost agonizing. Which should we do?  Can we go to one for the first part and then leave early to get to the last part of the other event?  Or shall we split up and one of us go in each direction?  

...

So what is so amazing about this dilemma?
Well, let me tell you how it hits me.

I remember a couple years ago when we were living on the road and I was feeling a little lonely at times.  I struggled to find a sense of community.  To find friends and maybe to serve together for something important - because serving together is a great way to build community.  When it came right down to it, this lack of community is what nudged us to come off the road and settle down.

And here we are!  THREE chances for community all on the same night.  Three specific diverse opportunities to get to know people.  

Yes, we now live in a place where the opportunities for community abound.
A place where it has been relatively painless to build some awesome friendships.
That happens to feel pretty amazing to me.
I kinda’ love it.

...

Read the rest of the 31 Amazing Days Challenge posts here.



No comments:

Post a Comment