So what’s so amazing this morning?
I guess I’ve been thinking about running water
Hot and cold running water even.
And washers and dryers
That I can turn a handle and have water come to me through the faucet.
Now it is true that I can’t drink the water that comes out of that faucet - or at least it is not recommended. But at least I do have access to clean drinking water - something that has suddenly become impossible in Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. I can only imagine how terrible that must be. The sudden vulnerability. Oh, my.
And while this crisis has gotten our attention, I’m reminded that for millions and millions of people, this is normal life. They never have access to clean water. That's right; 10 percent of the world’s population do not have clean water. 2.3 billion (one in three) do not have a decent toilet.
I can barely fathom statistics like this. We who live privileged lives can seldom understand what life is like without these privileges that we take for granted.
I wonder which is more amazing - the fact that modern technology brings hot and cold running water to my fingertips or the fact that we are often impervious to the conditions that are normal to so many people.
No comments:
Post a Comment